Director of Research
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the research team of a small think-tank with a stellar reputation for top quality research about Israel and the Middle East. The Director of Research will design and direct BICOM’s research programme and develop the organisation’s profile as the leading source of independent expertise about Israel and wider Middle East issues among target audiences in the UK and policy audiences worldwide. The Director of Research is also Deputy Editor of BICOM’s Fathom journal and supports the editor with strategy, commissioning, editing and outreach.
The role requires fluent Hebrew and English, a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a policy related field or academia, a Master’s degree or higher, expert working knowledge of Israel and Middle East issues, knowledge of UK and US foreign policy and a proven record of written work.
Job Specification: BICOM Director of Research
- Design and direct the research programme for BICOM.
- Work closely with the communications team to ensure all BICOM research reaches target audiences and creates impact.
- Ensure BICOM produces publications and products of the highest standard.
- Ensure the BICOM team is fully informed of developments on relevant political, security and strategic issues.
- Ensure the smooth running and management of the research team and its budget.
- Develop BICOM’s profile as the leading source of independent expertise on Israel and wider Middle East issues among target audiences in the UK.
- Develop the profile and reputation of BICOM in particular among policy audiences (officials, think tanks etc.) in both Israel and the UK.
- Ensure BICOM is able to provide expertise and advice to partner organisations and relevant stakeholders.
- Design and deliver the research strategy for BICOM, including implementation and evaluation of research and publications activity.
- Supervise the production of and act as overall editor of all BICOM branded publications.
- Manage the work of BICOM associate research team members and other external contributors.
- Manage the research budget.
- Write analysis and comment for BICOM and external platforms.
- Participate in weekly podcasts.
- Coordinate and chair research team meetings.
- Work with the communications team to ensure all publications have a communications plan.
- Supervise the management of policy contacts on the database and mailings to policy audiences.
- Provide feedback on content and proposals from other team members, e.g. op eds etc.
- Organise policy orientated events and forums which serve BICOM’s research and communications strategy, including with partner organisations, with a focus on identifying and developing themes and content.
- Deputy Editor of Fathom: Support the editor in strategy, commissioning written content, producing multimedia content, editing, outreach etc.
- Ensure staff are delivering on their work objectives and provide support and advice to develop their talents and skills.
- Coordinate out of hours cover in the event of high profile events or crises. Provide out of hours duty cover overnight and at weekends on a duty rota basis.
- Contribute to overall strategic planning and management of the organisation as a member of the BICOM Senior Management Team.
For more information please contact email@example.com
To apply please send a cover letter and CV
Closing date for applications: 17th June
Interviews will likely be held on June 30th