The IAEA, the Vienna-based UN nuclear watchdog agency, said no progress was made in Friday’s meeting to resume its long-stalled investigation into suspected military dimensions of Iran’s nuclear programme. An IAEA statement after the talks expressed “disappointment” with Iranian negotiating tactics, saying the Tehran delegation “raised issues that we have already discussed and added new ones.” The statement said no date had been set for a follow-on meeting. Hopes for a deal that would give the IAEA access to the Parchin military complex had been raised after IAEA Director Yukiya Amano visited Tehran last month. The IAEA have been pressing Tehran for access to Parchin, where it believes explosives tests relevant for the development of nuclear arms have taken place. It has evidence that Iran may now be cleaning the site of any incriminating evidence.
Robert Wood, the acting U.S. envoy to the IAEA, told Reuters on Saturday, “Yesterday’s outcome highlights Iran’s continued failure to abide by its commitment to the IAEA, and further underscores the need for it to work with the IAEA to address international community’s real concerns.”
The setback further adds to pessimistic atmosphere surrounding the third round of P5+1 (the five permanent members of the UN security council plus Germany) talks with Iran, to take place in Moscow on 18-19 June. Earlier rounds in Istanbul and Baghdad revealed substantial gaps between the sides.