Updated: 12:00, November 13
250+ Rockets fired into Israel – Israel says the Iron Dome system has intercepted 90 per cent of the rockets.
Israeli strikes in Gaza – Air strikes this morning targeted a rocket warhead manufacturing facility, Islamic Jihad Khan Yunis headquarters, Weapons storage site and an Islamic Jihad naval commando unit vessel
22 Palestinians killed, 69 wounded
0 Israelis killed, 48 Israelis injured
IDF – force deployment – Iron Dome batteries moved to central Israel. Artillery batteries moved to Gaza border supported by a battalion of infantry. Commando units sent to Gaza border villages to protect against terrorist infiltration
PIJ – deploying short range rockets and mortars, IDF says its conserving its medium and long range rockets.
- Spokesperson of PIJ military wing Abu Hamza: “We hold the enemy fully responsible for the consequences of its stupid decision to assassinate the leadership of the resistance. It is certain and decided that the coming hours will add a new headline to the enemy’s rash prime minister’s record of defeats who has only brought the Zionists destruction and war.”
Despite statements of support for PIJ and against Israel, Hamas has until now stayed out of the fighting. In a departure from recent policy, the IDF has only been targeting PIJ personnel and military sites and has left Hamas untouched.
- Hamas official Ismail Radwan: “We say to the occupation: If you want to single out the Al-Quds Brigades, we say today that the Qassam Brigades and the Al-Quds Brigades are twin brothers standing together. Your blood is our blood.”
Latest Israeli statements:
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at start of cabinet meeting: “I said yesterday that we are not bent on escalation, but that we would respond to every attack against us, and respond very sharply. Islamic Jihad would do well to understand this right now, instead of when it will be too late. I believe that Islamic Jihad is starting to internalize this message. They understand that we will continue to strike them without mercy. They understand that Israel is very strong and that our will is very great.”
- IDF Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Hidai Zilberman ““This morning the Palestinian Islamic Jihad resumed firing, and it intends to fire rockets today as well. “The organization is operating in a measured way, maintaining its arsenal of rockets for several days of battle and is keeping its options open, including the possibility of reducing its launches. “We aren’t attacking Hamas. The Islamic Jihad targets that we are bombing are not in the center of Gaza City, as we understand that we are walking a tightrope. We have hundreds of other targets that we can attack”
- UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov headed to Cairo for urgent talks. Diplomatic sources say “It is too early to talk of mediation yet. The goal now is to stop the escalation”
- Maja Kocijancic, the spokesperson for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy: “This morning, Israel conducted an operation inside Gaza targeting a senior leader of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad. In response, rockets were fired from Gaza on southern and central Israel. The firing of rockets on civilian populations is totally unacceptable and must immediately stop. A rapid and complete de-escalation is now necessary to safeguard the lives and security of Palestinian and Israeli civilians. The European Union fully supports the efforts of Egypt in this regard. As the EU has consistently reiterated, only a political solution can put an end to these continuing cycles of violence.”
- Foreign Office “We are deeply concerned by the escalation of hostilities in Gaza. The UK condemns the firing of rockets at civilian populations. Any attacks targeted against civilians are unlawful and unjustifiable. We call on all sides to rapidly de-escalate the situation, and support the UN and Egyptian efforts to achieve that objective.”
- Vice President Mike Pence: “The United States condemns the barrage of rockets on Israeli civilians. It’s clear Hamas & Palestinian Islamic Jihad put violence ahead of bettering the lives of the people of Gaza. America strongly affirms Israel’s right to defend itself.”
- Special Representative for International Negotiations Avi Berkowitz: “The U.S. fully supports our partner & ally Israel in their fight against terrorism and the terrorist group, Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ). The Administration strongly condemns the barrage of rockets on Israeli civilians and continues to monitor the situation. It’s clear that the main obstacles holding Gazans back are Hamas and PIJ who put violence ahead of bettering the lives of the people of Gaza.”
- US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman: “Palestinian Islamic Jihad, an Islamist terrorist org backed by Iran, is again attacking Israel with 100’s of missiles aimed at civilians. We stand w our friend & ally Israel at this critical moment & support Israel’s right to defend itself & bring an end to these barbaric attacks”
- “The Federal Government is extremely concerned about the situation in southern Israel and the Gaza Strip. Following an Israeli operation against a leader of the terrorist organization Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) in the Gaza Strip, over 100 rockets have been fired from Gaza to Israeli cities in recent hours. We strongly condemn this rocket fire. There is no justification for violence against innocent civilians. Prudence and a serious effort to de-escalate must be a top priority in the current fragile situation. We call for the utmost restraint and violence to end. We explicitly support the mediation efforts of Egypt and the United Nations.”
- France deplores the ongoing escalation in Gaza. It condemns the rocket fire that has been targeting inhabited areas of Israeli territory since yesterday from the Gaza Strip. It recalls that deliberate attacks on civilians are contrary to international humanitarian law. France recalls the right of Israelis as Palestinians to live in peace, dignity and security and deplores the civilian victims on both sides. It expresses its solidarity to the affected populations. France calls on the parties to restrain and recalls the obligations of protection of civilians and respect for international humanitarian law. It supports the mediation efforts of the Special Coordinator for the peace process, N. Mladenov, as well as Egypt. France reiterates that there will be no lasting stability in Gaza without the return of the Palestinian Authority and without a lifting of the blockade with credible security guarantees for Israel.”