BICOM is recruiting a new Research Associate to manage all BICOM’s research and publications, as well as provide editorial assistance to Fathom Journal.
The ideal candidate will have expert understanding of Israel and UK Middle East foreign policy. The candidate should possess excellent analytical and writing skills with a good network within UK academia and the think-tank arena, as well as experience of engaging with media and government. Ideally, the candidate will support BICOM’s core value of improving understanding of Israel in the UK.
- Prepare and write BICOM’s research and analysis, ensuring that output is of the highest quality.
- Work with the CEO and Communications Associate to build a programme of top-quality research and analysis publications.
- Provide editorial assistance for Fathom Journal, including website maintenance and email campaigns.
- Build and maintain contacts with BICOM’s key research partners and stakeholders, including government officials.
Specific BICOM duties:
- Prepare the ‘Morning Brief’ through writing and editing and ensuring it is completed to the highest quality standards.
- Working with the CEO and Research Team to write BICOM’s research and analysis content.
- Work with the CEO and Communications Team to assist in a media plan for each publication or event that details responsibilities, products, process and communications ideas.
- Together with the CEO and Research team build and maintain excellent relations with key partners such as Government, think tanks, academics in UK, Israel and the US.
- Working with the CEO to produce regular BICOM output including podcasts, BICOM Briefings, Strategic Assessments, and other research content.
- Attend think-tank and research events in London and grow BICOM’s network.
- Help the Communication Team with updating the website and designing research templates.
Specific Fathom Journal duties:
- Working with the editor to commission new essays for the journal, as well as bringing new ideas for essays and writers.
- Edit and proof new essays, incorporating house-style to the Fathom guidelines.
- Lead on commissioning Fathom’s Book Reviews, including acquiring new books to review and finding reviewers.
- Preparing and sending out the fortnightly Fathom Highlight email on Mailchimp.
- Maintaining the Fathom Journal website, including updating with new content, correcting errors.
- Working with the Communications team to prepare and execute media strategies for all Fathom Journal content.
- Maintaining Fathom Journal’s relationship with writers and key stakeholders.
- Provide statistical analysis on email campaigns for monitoring and evaluation reports.
- Help grow Fathom’s e-lists through email harvesting and media campaigns.
- Prepare and organise payment for all writers.
The candidate should have:
- Undergraduate degree and Postgraduate qualification required.
- Previous experience of writing for a think-tank is a significant advantage.
- Strong knowledge of Israel and UK Middle East foreign policy: knowledge of the Middle East an advantage.
- Able to deliver accurate writing in a timely manner.
- Effective time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Proven oral and written communication.
- Ability to work in a small team and collaborate effectively.
- Able to take the initiative and work independently.
Location: Working from home but with regular meetings in London with colleagues and stakeholders.
Hours of work: Mon-Friday, 7am-4pm three days a week and 9am-5pm two days a week, with out of hours work during crisis periods, conferences etc.
Apply by submitting a CV and covering letter, please email Richard Pater at email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 5pm on Friday 12 August.
We will only be contacting those candidates who are successful in progressing to the next stage of the process.
Interview/Start Dates: Interviews to commence as soon as possible. Please note that we may look to appoint before the closing date if a suitable candidate is found.